Community forums

Meet the team Interview with RV_Danny

Eliot
2015-12-24T18:35:12+01:00
EliotThreads: 3

Interview with RV_Danny

Merry Christmas, Renegade Line Community!

On this merry day of joy and cheer, we take a break to speak to our graciously talented web developer, RV_Danny! Danny has single-handedly created the whole website that you all know and love, and he manages it all himself. I'd be surprised if you don't know him already, as he's incredibly active on the Forums!

Usually Julian conducts the interviews, but I decided to do one this time. Hope you enjoy the interview!

If you have any questions, comments, criticisms or feedback, feel free to share everything with us HERE

General information about RV_Danny:

Name: Danny

Nationality: The Netherlands

Joined RV: June 2015

Position: Web Developer

The Interview

General Questions:

What's your role on the team?
I'm the Web Developer, so I work with the website, database stuff, statistics, et cetera.

How long have you been working with Web Development in the past, and what projects have you been a part of?
I've been a part of many, but nothing full time, just a lot of freelancing and personal projects.

What is the best thing about your job?
I guess the freedom I have. I create what I like without limitations, and of course it's an all new experience since I've never really worked for a game. 

Why and how did you join RawVengeance?   
I did it mainly just for the experience, in general it's all for experience. I know that Renegade Line has huge potential and I want to contribute to that. Regarding how I joined, I read a post about Renegade Line on a Forum and I thought it was interesting so I applied. 

How has your experience been with us so far?      
Good, entertaining, funny, and very informal. Great overall. 

Have you been working on other games before?      
Never, and that's one of the reasons why I joined RV.

Do you enjoy working with a community that is as responsive and close as this one? Have you experienced anything similar before?

It's absolutely amazing. It's the main reason I visit the forums as much as I do and having such a big community responding to my work is something new to me, in the past I just had a few people who said, like, "this is good, this is not good", and now I have a whole community giving feedback. 

Work-Related Questions:

What duties comply with working as a Web Developer for Raw Vengeance?
Actually, a lot. Right now I'm working on the backend, so basically things you don't see as a user and not only do I develop but also administrate  the whole database and make sure everything is working as it should. 

What are you currently working on?

Lately I've been working a lot on Developer API. I've focused a lot on the developers in our community so they have an opportunity to create awesome applications for our game because I know that in every gaming community there are awesome developers ready to create awesome things.

What programs do you use?      
Aptana Studio 3 & Atom.io

Could you give a rough explanation of the work process?    

Sure. First I come up with an idea, and then I draw what I have in mind, basically visualize it on paper. Then I start making a prototype and take a look at what can be improved and what's bad about the idea, then I go on with producing the idea. Afterwards I go on to test my idea, and finally I publish it (if it works well and I like the final product). Then I get feedback from the community. 

How did you learn everything you need to know about your job? Traditional education or self-taught?
Self-taught. I've basically just spent a lot of time reading official documentations. I know, it sounds really boring, and looking back on it I guess it kind of is, but it's all worth it. 

Are you currently the only Web Developer on the team, or are there others?
I am the only Web Developer.

Do you have any friends or colleagues who work with you on the website?
The design is made by Leander, and most of the feedback I do get from my other colleagues and the community, but other than that no not really. 

Personal Questions:

What type of games do you like to play?      
I don't really play many games anymore because I'm quite busy, but when I do I occasionally play Team Fortress 2 and Skyforge which is a new MMORPG. I don't really have a specific favorite genre. It's more like, either I like a game or I don't, the genre doesn't really matter.

How did you get into gaming?      

I played GTA San Andreas with my cousin when I was very young and from there on I played many other games. At some point I got addicted (hehe) and now I've basically stopped. 

What is your favourite game?
At the moment Team Fortress 2.

Are you interested in sports? If so, what is your favorite sport and do you have a favorite team? 
I'm not really a sports guy (haha).

Are you interested in eSports?
No, not at all, I'm not really interested in anything to do with sports.

Wickeds or residents?  

I think the Wickeds, I mean, I like being the bad guys. Like, not in real life, but in games I guess.

What is your job in real life?      

I used to do a lot of freelance jobs, but now I've slowed down a bit and just work on Renegade Line as much as possible. Other than that I have school, so those are my main priorities for now I guess. 

That wraps up today's joyous interview! If you have any feedback, questions, comments or criticisms, please make sure to visit THIS THREAD.
Merry Christmas if you celebrate it, and Happy Holidays to everyone else!

You're not alone, join the army of 40,000+ players!

Get alpha access here